Salem United Methodist Church has a rich 150-year history that goes back to an outgrowth of the old camp meetings that were held in the area In 1857, John R. Patterson deeded a tract of land on the west side Ward Gap Road for the purpose of building a Methodist Episcopal Church.
     A white frame church was built facing Salem Road, which is now named Myers Drive. The church had two front doors, and the women sat on one side of the church and the men sat on the other, according to Susan Allred. The front porch was decorated by lattice wood, according to Howard Allred.
     Rev. Marcus Wood, a circuit rider, preached at Salem Methodist Church Feb. 11, 1858, before the church was finished, according to Foot Prints in the Hollows by William F. Carter Jr. and Carrie Young Carter.
     After the old Lebanon Church, which was located near the water tank on North Maine Street, Mount Airy, was abandoned, Salem and South Maine Street Methodist churches became a double circuit, with Salem being the stronger church, according to Mr. B.F. Sparger as told to Ruth Minick. In 1908, the Mount Airy Circuit consisted of eight churches: Salem, Green Hill, Oak Grove, Laurel Bluff, Zion, Epworth, Beulah and New Hebron.
     The present sanctuary and basement rooms were erected in 1923-1924 and given by Mrs. Z.T. Smith, the daughter of John H. Jackson, and furnished by the congregation and dedicated on June 29, 1924.
     The churches first homecoming was held on Aug. 3, 1941, during the pastorate of Rev. Heckard. In 1951, Salem was made a station church. The old personage on Elm Street, Mount Airy, was sold, and Salem's congregation built a new one on Myers Drive. The first family to use the personage on Myers Drive was the Rev. and Mrs. Lester Ballard.
     Salem celebrated its 100th anniversary, July 28- Aug. 4, 1957, during the pastorate of Rev. A.W. Lynch. Salem took on a small church, Imogene, into the circuit to keep it from closing. It was later closed and Salem was assigned Epworth, a charge relationship that still lasts today.
     The congregation raised money for an educational building by having suppers and auctions at least once a year. When the Rev. W.L. Barbee the minster,  started exploring the possibility of beginning the construction.
     By using donated labor to a great extent, the building was completed and dedicated Sept. 4, 1977. Bishop L. Scott Allen preached at the 11 a.m. service and dedicated the building. An addition to the educational building was built in December 1986 that consisted of a church office and another classroom. Rev. Steve Rainey was the pastor. The first woman's missionary society was organized in 1894. The Methodist men charted a group in 1999.

     The church celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2007. Fifty documented pastors have served Salem United Methodist Church. Our last pastor was Joseph Kossan.

     He started setting up different ministries within the church to make us better Disciples in the church and in the community.  The Outreach ministries have a free community meal (the 3rd Monday) each month from 5 pm-6 pm, and is reaching out more and more. plus a free "Clothes Closet."  Our current Pastor is Tyler Hege. He continues to reach out to the community, preaching "The Love of Jesus Christ".  

     The Men's Fellowship Group (United Methodist Men) meet the 1st Saturday of the month for Breakfast and fellowship.  They have projects each year, such as a great talent show, a golf tournament, and always available to the needs of our church and community.

     Our United Methodist Women meet the 1st Monday of each month at 7 pm. They mission in many ways, such as, a Country Breakfast and Fall Bazaar. They visit the nursing homes, the home bound members, deliver meals, and send cards. Their missions are many.

     Each Tuesday, from 1:00 - 2:00 pm, we have a Bible study. Immediately following Bible study,  we have a powerful prayer group meeting from 2 pm-3 pm with many request from all over the area.

     Our newest addition to the church is a fenced-in, covered picnic area. Many picnic tables ,electrical hookups, and great lighting. This is open to the community as well as the church. Just call the church to set up a date for use at 336-786-8989.

     Please join us on Sunday morning's for Sunday School at 10 am and Worship Service at 11 am. The church maintains a busy calendar throughout the year.


                            Church Council 2018

Chairperson........................................................... John Perry

                                                                           Melissa Hiatt
Church Council Secretary...................................Julie Briggs
Lay Leader............................................................. Margie Ayers
Alternate Lay Member to Annual Conf........... Junior Cockerham
Nurture Ministries............................................... Melinda Comer
Outreach Ministries............................................ Linda Thompson

                                                                           Rachel Ammons  
Witness/Communications Ministries............. Carol Mays
Children Ministries.............................................
Youth Ministries..................................................
Young Adult Ministries......................................
Senior Adult Ministries......................................Pat Busick
Worship Committee Chairperson..................Wendy Marion
Sunday School Chairperson............................Margaret Matthews 
Sunday School Secretary................................. Margaret Matthews
Finance Chairperson......................................... Aimee Culler

                                                                           John Perry
Church Treasurer............................................... Sheila Smith
Finance Secretary................................................Betty Free
Pastor/Parish Relations Chairperson............ Carol Mays
Trustee Chairperson......................................... Reagan Ammons
Parsonage Chairperson....................................
Historian............................................................... 
Scholarship Fund Chairperson....................... Julie Briggs
Membership Secretary.....................................
United Methodist Women Chairperson....... Carol Thomas
Men's Fellowship Group Chairperson............Clark Marion

Head Usher...........................................................Clark Marion


Members -at- Large
2017 Class               2018 Class               2019 Class
Wayne Diagostino   Clarence Smith        Rachel Wilborn
Ann Cockerham       Donald Thomas      Bobby Matthews
Wade Ayers              R.D. Busick              Gregg Matthews


Nurture Ministries
Melinda Comer: Coordinator
Margaret Matthews     Wade Ayers        Pat Busick
Mendy Kontogainis      Malissa Hiatt       Clark Marion

Outreach Ministries

Linda Thompson; Coordinator
Amiee Culler             Evelyn Young        Julie Briggs
Mamie Smith             Melba Smith        Rachel Ammons

Susan Arnold


Witness/Communications Ministries
Carol Mays; Coordinator
Gregg Matthews        Tyler Hege       Julie Briggs             
Margie Ayers              Rachel Wilborn       

Worship Ministries

Wendy Marion; Coordinator
Pat Busick                 Betty Free               Clark Marion
Margie Ayers       Mendy Kontongainis     Rachel Wilborn




History of Salem United Methodist Church

Salem United Methodist Church

336-786-8989

Christians in Action